Popular Posts

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

So Much Information

Okay,
So I have been doing some research and there is just so much to learn about this sport that I found myself on overload a few times. It became too easy to try and learn about one thing and then inadvertently learn 4 other things instead. I am taking in as much as I can in increments. I am also more than sure that I will read and re-read the same bits of information over and over again as I claw my way through all of these rules, regulations, program overviews, age requirements, skill requirements, and costs. The bits I made an attempt to understand this past week were the differences between the Xcel Program and the standard leveled Junior Olympics Program. From what I gathered the largest difference is that the Xcel Program is supposed to be designed for affordability in an attempt to diversify the sport. I guess ultimately the USAGymnastics is looking for talent in groups of children that they don't typically get to see because of the expense associated with competing in their programs. I do wonder just how many kids are out there with amazing untapped talent that the world will never witness in our major competitions of the world all because they can't afford it. So, I do hope that this program accomplishes it's mission.
As far as the skill levels being adequately met, apparently the leveling system in the Xcel Program is "comparable" to Levels 1-7 of the Junior Olympic Program. My primary concern with this at the moment is that the Xcel Program is fairly new and just barely beginning to spread across the states so when competing, how long will it take for these children to really be challenged? Right now I am perfectly fine with the lower numbers of competitors because this is my daughter's first experience with competing in gymnastics and I don't want to scare her off. I'm looking at this program as a way to ease her into "the system". Then maybe she will stay with it longer. One can only hope, right? But at the end of the competing year I will have to re-evaluate just how long she should remain in this program and when to switch her over to the standard program. But we shall cross that bridge when we get to it. Until then...we learn.
The most amazing part of the competing world that I have found are the age limits. Children are really competing (or compulsory, a term I need to research further) as young as 4 years old. Now I guess there are PeeWee leagues of basketball, football, and tee-ball that start around that age. So, I'm not really sure why the gymnastics ages surprised me. Maybe it's because when I think about putting a child in a gymnastics meet I think about the hours of warming up, completing events, waiting for awards, and following dozens or rules all in just a single meet. If any of you know, or have, a 4 year old this is a lot to deal with in one day. And the idea of watching my 7 year old perform some of the skills necessary to compete at Level 7 would give me a heart attack every time. But I guess if the child has the skill and the drive and the parent has a cast iron stomach and the money, then it's all worth a try, right? To each his own, as the saying goes. I feel confident in the stages at which we are progressing, and I know my daughter is pushed appropriately outside of her comfort zone in her training. I think this will prove to be a successful year and we both will gain a much broader understanding of what to expect should she choose to continue.
I know I'm not supposed to, but in my head/heart I keep hearing "Olympics 2020 here we come" LOL
Oh well, Fly and Stick It Munchkin Princess!

No comments:

Post a Comment