Popular Posts

Monday, March 4, 2013

Back in Action!

Thank goodness!
Everyone is feeling better, kicking butt, and taking names this week. Apparently it was nothing serious for The Munchkin Princess just a unruly case of allergies. Got to love Austin the allergy riddled live-music capital of the world. So I'm thinking I have passed on my specific allergies to the little one. Oops. Well, now I know what to expect at different times of the year and how to help the lovely survive. Hmm, maybe living by the ocean will help us out...Yea, in my dreams.

This week in the wonderful world of gymnastics we are preparing for Spring Break next week. It looks like the girls will be adding 3 extra hours to their regimen next week to take full advantage to not having school to slow them down. So during the break we will be in the gym 3 days out of the week for 4 hours each day. I'm sure The Munchkin Princess will love it, but I may have to take breaks and leave the building because my behind cannot take 4 straight hours in these terrible metal folding chairs.

As I sit here watching my daughter learn basic form for the vault I find myself wondering "Just how quickly do these girls generally tend to progress?" and "How far behind is she really?" From what I have learned it is common for gymnasts to have to repeat a level for another year based on the coach's evaluation of their strengths and weaknesses, just like in school. Even Jordyn Wieber 2012 Olympic gymnast stayed in Level 5 for an extra season according to her mother. So how does a gymnast stay on track and progress appropriately without being rushed and potentially injured? Also, looking at the USA Gymnastics guidelines and age requirements makes me feel as though there are thousands of children in this country beginning their competitive careers as gymnasts very early. There is a Talent Opportunity Program specifically designed to scout girls between the ages of 7-10 years old. This is done on a state wide level initially and then can progress to a national training camp opportunity. Which leads me to wonder even more "Exactly what skills are expected of a 7 year old gymnast so that she may be invited to a national training camp?" Are we behind the curve in this sport to make it to the Elite team by high school? Or maybe now that her training regimen is designed for competitive progression she will steadily climb the ranks? Either way I do know that the Elite team and in particular the Olympic team are not the be all and end all of gymnastics. There are a number of highly prestigious universities with amazing gymnastics programs that actually offer full scholarships. There are always options and I intend to keep as many of them open for my baby for as long as possible.

Our word(s) for tonight:
TOPs Physical Ability requirements - Gymnasts must be able to complete the rope climb with legs held straight out, complete press handstand, leg lifts, demonstrate leg flexibility, and hold handstands for a minimum of 30 seconds. 7-10 year old girls

With the right direction and drive anything can be done, so I'm going to sit and watch The Munchkin Princess fly high and stick in her dream. Night all

No comments:

Post a Comment